If you need neuroleptic drugs to control a psychiatric disorder, consider these guidelines to help prevent TD:
Talk with your doctor about:
- Risks and benefits of the medication
- Whether the dose is right for you and how well the drug is working
- Other medications you can try that have less risk of TD
- Whether you can take a "drug holiday," to take a break from using the medication
- Even a small symptom of TD that you have—Early treatment works best.
- Do not stop taking your medication without first talking to your doctor. If you stop the drug right away, it may trigger TD.
- See your doctor every three months.