To help reduce your chance of getting a stroke, take the following steps:
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables . Limit dietary salt and fat .
- Stop smoking .
- Drink alcohol only in moderation (1-2 drinks per day).
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Frequently check blood pressure . Follow your doctor's recommendations for keeping it in a safe range.
- Take a low dose of aspirin (75 milligrams per day) if your doctor says it is safe.
- Keep chronic medical conditions under control. This includes high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Seek medical care if you have symptoms of a stroke, even if symptoms stop.
- Stop the use of recreational drugs (cocaine, heroin, marijuana, amphetamines).
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.