You cannot prevent lupus because the cause is unknown.
To prevent flare-ups of symptoms:
- Schedule regular check-ups.
- Treat any and all infections quickly and vigorously.
- Avoid sun exposure and wear sunscreen and protective clothing when outdoors .
- Eat a healthful diet, one that is low in saturated fat and rich in whole grains , fruits, and vegetables .
- Limit emotional stress .
- Get adequate rest .
- Exercise moderately (as much as your condition allows) with your doctor's permission.
- Call your doctor if you think you will have a flare-up.
- Avoid oral contraceptives, especially if you have had a blood clot.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.