With the world constantly changing around us, it can be helpful to have some guiding words and inspiring principles to live by. To help you start off the year 2016 on the right foot, here are 12 inspirational quotes that are applicable to everyone, but especially to women.
These quotes are the ones we need to tell ourselves when we worry about failing ourselves, or failing to live up to society standards, or simply failing to act. As women, we sometimes need to remind ourselves that we are powerful beyond measure, and the world does not benefit when we remain small.
12 Inspiring Quotes for the New Year
1) "I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
– Michael Jordan
2) "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover. "
– Mark Twain
3) "Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
– Albert Einstein
4) "I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
– Maya Angelou
5) "Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you."
6) "When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us."
– Helen Keller
7) "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."
– Leonardo da Vinci
8) "Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputations can never effect a reform."
- Susan B. Anthony
9) "You can imprison a man, but not an idea. You can exile a man, but not an idea. You can kill a man, but not an idea."
- Benazir Bhutto
10) "Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you."
- Hillary Clinton
11) "When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak."
- Audre Lorde
12) "Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it."
- Brené Brown
Forbes.com. "Top 100 Inspirational Quotes." Web. 28 May 2013.
Huffingtonpost.com. "100 Quotes from Extraordinary Women." Web. 25 March 2015.
Reviewed December 10, 2015
by Michele Blacksberg RN
Edited by Jody Smith