If you experience any of these symptoms, do not assume they are due to sleepwalking. These symptoms may be caused by other conditions. If you experience any one of them, see your doctor:
- Walking during deep sleep
- Sitting up in bed and repeating certain movements (eg, rubbing eyes, fumbling with clothes)
- Talking in your sleep
- Difficulty arousing during a sleepwalking episode
- Doing inappropriate behavior during a sleepwalking episode (eg, urinating in closets)
- Screaming during sleepwalking episodes
- Becoming violent when a person tries to wake you
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. She will also do a physical exam. You will be asked about your:
- Family history
- Underlying illness or stress
Your doctor may refer you to a sleep specialist. You may need to have a sleep study done.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2022 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.