A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition. Risk factors for hypochondria include:
- Family history of hypochondria
- Psychiatric disorders such as depression , anxiety, or personality disorder
- Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse in childhood
- Witnessing violence in childhood
- Stressful experience with your own or a loved one's illness
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2022 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.