Treatment for amenorrhea is dependent upon the cause of the condition:
- Congenital birth defect—may be correctable by surgery
- Pituitary tumor—treatments usually involve surgery or radiation therapy
- Hormonal irregularity—hormone therapy, including oral contraceptives, may cause menstruation to begin
- Weight related—improved diet, including healthy caloric intake and a reasonable exercise routine usually restores hormonal balance and menstruation
- Medical condition—if effective treatment is available, it may restore menstruation
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2023 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.