To prevent a rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac:
- Learn what the plants look like, and avoid all contact with them.
- Never burn these plants.
- Wear clothes that cover as much skin as possible when in wooded areas.
- Bathe pets in soapy water if you think they have come in contact with one of these plants.
- Wash any clothing or object that may have come in contact with these plants.
- Use an over-the-counter medication (eg, Ivy Block, Stokoguard [ bentoquatum 5%]). This may help prevent a rash if applied at least 15 minutes before exposure.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Copyright © 2020 EBSCO Publishing All rights reserved.